Eoin Houston IT consultant to the Third Sector
Without Eoin’s valuable input I doubt we wouldn’t have achieved the great results we are now getting.… more…
I offer plain talking advice on how to achieve the most from your existing technology. My great passions are empowering people to use computers without costing the earth. I do this through use of open source software, researching all potentials and reusing and recycling older hardware wherever possible. I have helped many organisations and individuals in Edinburgh and Wellington; I quote some of their feedback here.
Having adapted to many different organisations and their varying vintages of kit my experience and abilities are equally diverse.
- Design, upgrade, fault finding
- XHTML / CSS / PHP / MySQL
- Web 2.0 Applications
- File store servers
- Router configuration
- Wiring and hubs
- Hardware maintenace and upgrade, including laptop repair.
Software installation and configuration
- Ubuntu Linux, Windows (XP thru Win.7), Open Office, MS Office (1997 thru 2007), Adobe Writer, Photoshop
- Handheld configuration, printer repair, projector setup
- Linux Installation, configuration, basic scripting, TCP/IP, DHCP, Webmin.
- Apache Configuration of directives, virtual hosts, authentication and SSL.
- MySQL Database design, rationalisation and reasonable SQL.
- PHP From simple inserts to Web 2.0 application.
- LTSP Booting workstations across the network — TFTP, BootROM, ssh, system administration.
Infrastructure & Planning
- Developing networks, working practices and methodologies.
- Documentation, manuals and guides.
- Training — in one to one and formal environments.
- Security audits and advice.
All explained in non technical terms.
"The friendliest geek I know…"
"He has set Health All Round up with an excellent, user friendly system … saving us a considerable amount of money and anxiety" more…
My basic rate for registered charities is £52 per visit. Shorter jobs can also attract a discount.
For non-charities and businesses my rates start at £140 per visit.
Initial visits, quotations and some basic tasks are free. A try before you buy scheme.
"Eoin's work has dramatically impacted on the way we work at WHALE … He understands our needs as a small business."